Friday, April 7, 2017

March: Utah again

Apparently the first bite of every apple tastes the best.  
 Cold and rainy, but not too bad for going to the park.
 B brought me this dress up dress giggling.  "Help me put this on, Mommy. It will be funny!"  Jared took one look at him and burst out laughing.  B kept catching Jared's eye for the next hour, and they would both crack up every time.  After a while B got cold and wanted his regular clothes again, but I think he achieved his objective with this look.
 B found directions for building an airplane out of a paper towel roll in a Highlights magazine, and asked me to help him make it.  This was a lot of work, but he was happy with the result.
 We challenged the Christensens to a snowball battle with snowballs we got for ourselves after loving Aunt Barbara and Uncle Boyd's snowballs so much.  We had to get our game faces on for the battle.
 My mom was hospitalized at the end of February with multiple organ failure (heart and kidney) and pneumonia.  Cheyenne flew out to be with her in the hospital, but Cheyenne's due date for her new baby (affectionately known as Baby Boom Boom) is approaching, so she had to go home two days after Mama Jill was released from the hospital.  We ran into each other at the airport.  I hated leaving most of the kids, but it was important for me and Sammy to be there for Grandma Jill.
 We all stayed in Anni and Ryan's house, which was a bit cramped, being a smallish apartment, but being in close proximity always seems to get us laughing.  This can only be good for Mama Jill's breathing, right?
 I was there to help get Mama Jill to her appointments, help her with all of the new medications, and, on her physical therapist's prescription, to wake her up from her daytime naps so that she could recover more quickly.
Don't worry.  We didn't miss free pancake day at IHOP.
 After a few days, I persuaded Mama Jill to run some errands and go out for a haircut.  I know a new haircut can go a long way to making a person feel human again after a long stay in the hospital.  Mama Jill was in the hospital for nine days.
 While she was sick, some furry little roommates moved in with my mom.  Ryan and I cleaned out her apartment to remove all traces of mice before she moved home.  We didn't want her recovering from pneumonia only to catch hantavirus.
 These boys.  They got along sometimes, but they are too close in age and too bad at communicating to get along for very long.  Things were better outside, but they were very competitive over toys and bikes.

 I found this little gem in my mom's apartment.  Without reading the labels, who can guess which one is me?

 Anni got the kids engaged in scripture reading every night by singing the scriptures and getting the kids to sing backup.  This was hilarious.  I'm not sure if it actually helped them to listen, but it did get them sitting still.
 After almost two weeks in Utah, we got Grandma Jill moved back to her own house.  She was nervous and overwhelmed about getting back into her life, since she had been so sick for such a long time.  Getting around with oxygen was a trial, and there are new restrictions on her diet.  When Grandma was safely set up at home, stocked with groceries, and had a few items that had been destroyed by mice replaced, we went out for junk food.
 Sammy was excited to help with some of Grandma's unpacking when we went back the next day.
 It was nearly 80 degrees and lovely that afternoon (Saint Patrick's Day), so I made barbecue chicken sandwiches on green bread, and we went to the park at the Ogden airport so that we could watch planes take off.  This was a hit.
 Jordanne drove down from Logan to visit that night.  She is in Rome now, going to graduate school, so I'm glad I got to see her for a couple of hours while I was in Utah.
 The next day we dropped by to check on Grandma Jill, then away to the airport so that Sammy and I could come home and restore order.  Actually Todd had things perfectly under control while I was gone, even if he did feel a little isolated being a stay at home parent.  He made a deal with the kids that if they would spend two hours outside every day, he would do their chores for them.  They did it almost every day, even though it was pouring rain almost every day.
Mama Jill is doing much better.  In the two weeks since I came home, she has gotten off of supplemental oxygen during the day, and she has gone back to work.  Things are looking up for her, and I am very happy to be home.

No comments: