Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hot summer days

Sammy loves shoes.  He calls them "oos." This particular style is called "fee pops."  
 This is Brackett's Landing Park in Edmonds, next to the ferry terminal.  The north side of the beach had too much seaweed for Eloise.  She is like Todd.  He also can't stand swimming with slimy plants lapping around his ankles.
 We got ice cream cones as our family home evening treat.  It's better to have all of the sugar earlier in the day so that it doesn't affect bedtime.  Somebody had a fit about their ice cream cone being too small here.  It's possible that these kids are getting horribly spoiled.  I blame the gorgeous weather.
 Sammy was not feeling well, and he napped poorly.  He was teething and picked up some kind of a bug.  I put him on the sand to play, and he stretched himself on the sand to rest.  All of the other children saw this as an opportunity to bring home as much sand as possible.  Since the signs on this beach indicated that it is a marine sanctuary, we were forbidden from bringing home a big pile of shells and rocks.  Whoever had this brilliant idea has my thanks.  I feel like I have carried home a hundred pounds of beach detritus for "collections" this summer.  The south beach at Brackett's Landing was much less seaweedy.
 Why is it that when someone's shirt meets with a fatal accident, the only spare shirt I have is always completely unsuitable?  I couldn't just have a pink shirt as my backup shirt.  I have to have a pink, glittery zebra shirt.  I think Sammy pulls it off.  This is McAuliffe Park in Kirkland.
 On Wednesday we had a beach park picnic date with the Christensens at Waverly Beach.
 This was another chance to bring home tons of sand inside our clothes.
 Eloise spent most of her time in the water, since a breeze made it chilly on shore after she was wet, but the lake water had warmed up to a comfortable temperature.
 Thursday was good for blackberry picking  in Big Finn Hill Park.

 After Sammy's nap we went to Home Depot to pick out some paint colors for a couple of unpainted walls in our house, stain for our back fence, and a new bathroom sink for the kids' bathroom with the oversized vanity.  I had suggested that we go from the store to a park with a splash pad, but we ran out of time, and ended up sweating at Stipek Park in Bothell, which was just a couple of blocks out of the way of our drive home.
 These little park professionals were good sports about the change, especially since I had brought adequate snacks.
 We made up for the lack of water play on Thursday with a trip to Saltwater State Park in Des Moines, Washington on Friday.  Instead of having tide pools, Saltwater State Park has a sort of tide plain.  All of the rocks are covered in barnacles.  B ignored my warnings and insisted on learning the hard way about barnacles on skin.  Twice.  He walked out on the barnacles twice without his shoes.  I think he figured it out after that.
 Jared read a sign that said that there are high bacteria levels in the water here, and refused to be comforted.  After he had shouted all of his anxieties to the sky, I managed to persuade him that we were not at risk from these bacteria, as long as we didn't get the water in our mouths, and as long as we washed our hands after we left the water and before we ate.  Jared made me promise to keep Sammy's hands out of the water, since babies don't understand about bacteria.  This was fine, since Sammy couldn't really walk on the barnacles.
 It was a lovely day to be at the beach.  It was 95 degrees in Kirkland, but the breeze off of the water here kept it cool enough to be comfortable.  This was the trip where I put sunscreen on Jared and then ran out before I could put it on the other kids.  B and Eloise got a little bit burned on their necks.
 The Native American Flute festival that was going on in the park almost had me persuaded that I didn't like this beach.  Two hours of tuneless flute music played at enhanced volumes is enough to drive anyone crazy.   On the other hand, this is another beach where taking shells home is prohibited. That is reason enough for me to return.  Of course this meant that we had to document all of our most interesting shell finds.
 The shell and rock in the picture below are interesting because they are the only two items on the expansive tide plain that don't have barnacles on them.
 Other interesting finds included a live anemone, some pieces of a large bone, and most of a conch shell.  The ground was too rough to make this surf very good for playing in, but the treasure hunting was great.
 We stopped at the playground before returning to the car.
 Rather than turn our oven on to 500 degrees in our kitchen that was probably already 100 degrees, we stopped to pick up our Friday night pizza on the way home.  Jared couldn't believe that I would buy pizza just to keep our house from getting hotter.  We don't have a lot of days in the year that get this hot.  This was probably one of the three hottest days. I think it is worth an occasional splurge.
 B was having trouble sleeping in the hot, stuffy upstairs, so Eloise made a little bed in Jared's closet, and B slept in her bed.  His sleep improved marvelously.  We tried putting Sammy downstairs to sleep, but the unfamiliar room was a dealbreaker for him.  He couldn't sleep at all.  We ended up keeping him up a little bit later, until the sun set, and then opening his window and putting a fan in his room.  It's hard to tell whether or not his sleep improved, since all four of his canine teeth broke through in August.  He had some tough teething making him uncomfortable.

On Saturday we went to a baptism.  Todd had had a poor night's sleep, so we left him home to nap.  I packed a picnic, and we were planning to go to the park after the baptism.  Instead, we ended up being guests at a primary party being put on by the Spanish Ward that meets in our church building.  I made the mistake of commenting on how good the enchiladas smelled (Enchilada is one of Sammy's favorite words).  The hermana who made the enchiladas chased us down on our way to our car to beg us, in her broken English, to come and try some.  The balloons and music enticed the children to stay, and so we had some delicious enchiladas, and then the children were invited by other children to play party games.  Sammy admired one of the balloon decorations, so a nice lady pulled it down for him to play with.  In the end, enchiladas turned into enchiladas, watermelon, cantaloupe, lemonade, three balloons, a vial of bubbles, two gigantic cookies, and a lot of lovely new friends.   Our neighbors from the south are experts at hospitality.  They made us feel like they wouldn't know what to do if they weren't waiting on us and making us welcome.
 When we came home, Todd was rested and ready to play with water in the back yard.  Spray bottles make the best water guns.
Summer is so fleeting here.  We feel the hot summer days slipping away as quickly as they arrive.

No comments: