Sunday, November 22, 2015

Utah (Idaho III)

We left Salmon for Idaho Falls to take Grandma and Grandpa Knight to the airport there for their trip home.  Before they left, though, we had to stop and eat at Grandma's favorite restaurant, Arctic Circle.  The one we found just happened to have a play place for the kids.  
 I had just noticed that B was starting to get thrush in his mouth from an excess of sweets and a shortage of water while we were traveling.  He was not pleased to be excluded from treats for the rest of the trip, but he managed without candy and juice.

 After we said goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa, we went to a park in Idaho Falls for a little while before spending the night with Todd's cousin Becky and her daughters in Shelley, Idaho.  The boys were off on a hunting trip.  The playground in Idaho Falls was really cool, and we were really glad that we got to see Becky.  She is always a lot of fun.

 The next morning we drove to Salt Lake and met Cheyenne and her kids, Aaron, McKay, and Victoria at Liberty Park, which is smaller and more run down than I remember.
 It was very hot out.
 When we were hot and thirsty from all of our play, we checked into our hotel and then picked Grandma Jill up to take her to dinner.  
After a good night's sleep, we went to see my grandparents at their home in Murray.
 Cheyenne suggested that I prepare the kids a little bit for the confusion that my grandparents are experiencing with their dementia, since her boys had been alarmed by it.  B didn't mind.  He and Great Grandma Richards share a love of cuddly, fuzzy toys.
 Grandma was a little confused.  She mistook Sammy for Victoria, asking, "Is this that sweet red headed baby?" But she didn't mind a bit when I explained that it wasn't.  She did seem to know who I was, at least.
 Eloise, on the other hand, might have been a little bit over prepared.  She took one look at my sweet grandma, froze up, and started to sob.  I took her outside to calm down, and then brought her back in to visit, holding her until she was ready to be put down.  Grandpa was more confused than I had ever seen him, telling me the same story three times in the course of our short visit, but he pressed candies into my hand for each of the children.
 I wish I had gotten a picture of Jared with my Gs, but he is so curious and full of energy that it is hard to get him to be still for a picture, and I didn't want him making my Gs nervous.
I'm so glad that we got to see Grandma and Grandpa Richards while we were on our trip, and introduce them to our little Sammy.

No comments: