Saturday, May 2, 2015

Sammy's Hospital Visit

On Thursday, April 16, Sammy had a fever, so he had to go to the emergency room. Even though we suspected the fever was related to the runny nose virus that all of the family had had, fever is serious business in a two week old. 
There was nothing immediately wrong with Sammy in the ER, and his fever had cleared up, so I took him home against medical advice, only to get a call around 8 p.m. saying that preliminary lab results indicated that Sammy had a urinary tract infection, and he needed to be checked into the hospital to start IV antibiotics right away. Sammy got a blessing, and back to the hospital he went. 
You wouldn't believe how sad it is to see a tiny infant getting an IV put in.  He also had to have a catheter for a little while, a blood draw, a heel prick, and a lumbar puncture for spinal fluid to make sure he didn't have meningitis. 
 At the end of 48 long and sleepless hours in the hospital, the doctor announced that Sammy's tests had failed to grow any bacteria, meaning that he had never had an infection.  We were admitted to the hospital based on the high white blood cell count and inflammation in Sammy's pee, which, in the doctor's experience, has always been indicative of infection. I'm glad Sammy is fine, but I wish there could have been a less painful way of discovering it. 
 Although we did have a weenie roast and a camp out in the back yard with the Christensens on Eloise's birthday, we had to reschedule Eloise's birthday party that we had planned for Saturday.  In my absence, B went on a sleep strike, and started a pattern of 2 a.m. tantrums which I truly hope will not become a habit. He has gotten very insecure since he lost his place as the youngest.  I don't blame him, but we are all pretty tired. 

Here are some blessings that we got this week: Sammy is fit and healthy, and doesn't seem permanently troubled by his ordeal. 
When Sammy needed a blessing, there just happened to be two Melchizedek priesthood holders in the house.  

Eloise did not object to having her party postponed in exchange for a simple bribe of frozen yogurt.
The hospital nurses were all super nice.

Technology kept us from being too isolated in the hospital.
A box of animal masks arrived in the mail for Miss Eloise from Grandma and Grandpa Knight.  Jared and Eloise have a favorite game of animal dress up, so this provided HOURS of entertainment for the kids.  

 A neighbor spontaneously brought dinner over on the very day that we were admitted to the hospital, so I didn't have to worry about the family being fed. I felt Heavenly Father's love in that gesture.
 I had to remind myself a hundred times a day throughout this ordeal how grateful I am for modern healthcare, and the thoroughness of doctors in ruling out every danger to my child.  We are so glad to have our Sammy healthy and home. 

No comments: