Sunday, March 3, 2013

One of THOSE days. . . weeks. . .

Have you ever had a day that you needed a week or more to recover from?  That was my day last Wednesday.   The day started a little early, so I planned our Wednesday trip to the library so that we could make a quick exit after story time, and be home in time for the pre-nap breakdown.  We checked out a stack of new books, and then we went to the bathroom before story time started.  In the bathroom we found our librarian fussing over one of the children who had been in the earlier story time.  The little girl had been running, tripped, hit her head on a sharp floorboard, and was gushing blood from her forehead.  I should have known that story time can't just have a one incident day.  
We made it through story time with two very tired kids.  Jared was sitting near the front, so he got his story time hand stamp with the first few children, and Eloise was sitting near the back, with me, so she waited for me to walk her to the front for her hand stamp.  As we were walking toward the librarian, Jared was walking away from her.  I watched him long enough to see that he was heading toward our bag of books (nowhere near the room exit), and then I turned my attention to Eloise.  By the time Eloise had her stamp and I looked around to account for Jared, he was missing.  I took Eloise and Benjamin and quickly checked all of the places where I thought he might be.  I thought he might have wandered through the doors to the lobby, back to the children's computer area, the bathroom, or out to the front lawn of the library, since it was a beautiful day, and we had been playing there earlier.  When I didn't see him in any of those places, I enlisted the help of our librarian, Miss Bernice, to locate him.  She went running through the library looking for him.  I think she was still traumatized from the experience in the earlier story time.  
On my way to check outside the library again, another story time mom pulled me back into the meeting room, where a stranger had brought Jared back.  He had gone out to the parking garage elevator, gone to the parking level where our car was parked, and then, finally noticing that he was alone, stayed in the elevator and panicked.  When he told me about the experience, Jared seemed most upset that the stranger who had found him in the elevator had first pushed the elevator button for the WRONG level, and then, noticing the crying preschooler, and pushed the button for the library level a LOT of times.  
He cried and cried and cried while Miss Bernice and I hugged him and talked to him, and eventually he calmed down.  
The few minutes when Jared was missing were some of the scariest of my entire life.  

Fortunately, Jared had recovered fully by Thursday morning.  He was his usual kielbasa brandishing self after only one night.  
 If only Wednesday's excitement had ended with Jared's reappearance.  All afternoon Jared and Eloise had one mishap after another.  Jared came through the day with a goose egg on his head from a little kitchen accident, and everything that touched Eloise made her howl.  It turned out that she had a fever of 103.  The fever lasted through Thursday and a lot of Friday, but she is mostly over whatever it was.

We have had some warmer weather lately, so yesterday morning we played outside for a couple of hours.  Eloise and Jared spent a lot of time tagging our house with sidewalk chalk,
 and riding bikes in the driveway.
 When it comes to playing outside, these kids are tireless.
 B took a two hour nap while we played outside.  I love the little animal ears on his jacket.
I gave the kids a ten minute warning for going inside at 10:45, and, five minutes later, Eloise's fever hit Jared like a ton of bricks.
I'm sure it would be easier to get over the scare of my life from Wednesday if we weren't doing 24 hour sick child duty.  This winter has been long enough for me.  Anytime now, spring.

1 comment:

Colette Campbell said...

Spring is here in Tucson. It might help your recovery to fly down here for a little while. Just sayin...

And that Jared missing story was scary enough just reading about it. Hope that's the last time you get to have that happen. I kind of had a panic like that when Rachel fell asleep on the dinner table bench after lunch when she was sick and I searched the house twice before I found her. But at least then I knew there were no strangers around to have taken off with her.