Monday, February 11, 2013

Midwinter Road Trip

About two weeks ago, we decided to make a quick midwinter road trip to Idaho and Utah to celebrate Todd's cousin, Megan, getting sealed to her husband, Jon, in the Idaho Falls temple, and to be in Logan to celebrate our niece, Maren's, first birthday.  In preparation for the trip, I picked up some snow gear for the kids.  Can you tell they were excited?
The drive went pretty well.  We broke the trip up over two days, with a stop in Boise.  Our kids travel really well in the car.  Here are some travel portraits.
Okay, they didn't really sleep that much in the car.  It was sort of magical for the few minutes that they were all asleep.  Eloise, in particular, had a very hard time getting enough sleep on the trip.  This was not her best trip ever.  
The kids had been really excited to stay in a hotel.  We promised them a hotel with a swimming pool, and kept our expectations low for anyone getting any sleep when we are all in one room.  We actually got pretty good sleep in our hotels.  
Jared was wildly excited to swim and swim and swim.  
Eloise saw the swimming pool and FLIPPED OUT.  She was NOT going anywhere near that water.  I got her in a pool once, at our first stop, but she clung to me and sobbed for the whole experience.  Eloise has been extra emotional since Benjamin was born, and introducing all of the new unfamiliar elements of our trip was not exactly helpful for getting her back to normal.  
Idaho Falls was cold, snow covered, and beautiful.  We were busy socializing with family who we see once a year, at most, so we were negligent with the picture taking.  Here is Reah, Megan, Becky, and Ashley, before Marilyn got into the sisters picture.  Benjamin got passed around from cousin to great aunt to great aunt.  He was as sweet and docile as ever.
After the luncheon, it was back into the car for a three hour drive down to Logan.  It was great to see our family in Logan.  Unfortunately, Maren was sick with a fever and a runny nose for most of our visit.  Anni and Ryan were sick, too, so the party plans were scrapped in favor of a quiet, stay at home weekend.  
Grandma Jill is staying with Anni for a few months.  It was great to see her.    
Eloise was terrified of Maren, who is more mobile than she was was in October, even if she isn't walking yet.
Benjamin was as happy as ever.  It's hard to get him down.  
Eloise did have her happy moments.  She enjoyed getting her hair done by Daddy.
She did not enjoy nursery.  Eloise was really excited for nursery, until she arrived, and her regular teacher, Sister Cameron, wasn't there.  She ended up going home early for a nap.  
On Monday morning, we took the kids out with a borrowed sled for a little snow adventure.  It started off great.  Snow is fun, right kids?
Eloise was excited to be at a park, even if it was covered in snow.  This happiness lasted for about a minute.  
I think you can see here that she was starting to break down.  Before long this turned into a full fledged tantrum.  I was struggling to get her back to the car, so Todd came to help me, and Jared saw him turning away from the sledding hill and had his own breakdown.  In spite of all of their previous excitement, our snow outing ended with us throwing everything into the car and fleeing.  We might try again with some more local snow in a week or two.  
We enjoyed a visit from my friend Yeon Mi and her adorable baby Brooklyn.
My kids had been really geared up for a party, so Anni pulled together a little birthday cake. . . 
. . . with a little help from Jared.  
The cake was inspired by Maren's love of Nemo.  
She started out pulling off bits of brown sugar, but in the end, she dug right in.  We only had to ask Jared to get his fingers out of the frosting once.  
The trip was awesome.  How could it not be, with this guy?
We had a good time, but we are happy to be home, fighting off the disease we picked up in Logan, and getting back to normal.  

No comments: