Friday, September 2, 2011

The evolution of a smile

This has been a long summer for Jared's smile. Here is his original "cheese" face a few months ago.
As you may remember, Jared had a little mishap at Great Grandpa's house a few weeks ago and chipped a tooth.  Apparently that was only the beginning of his face alteration plan.
   Jared, usually a very cautious child, has gotten more daring lately as his balance has improved.  This means that he will now walk down stairs without holding onto a parent for dear life, climbs into his own high chair, occasionally takes showers without fear of slipping, and stands up in the wobbling rocking chair.  He also likes to stand up on the seat of his little scooter (pictured in this post), which he calls his bike.  He usually performs this stunt holding onto a nearby piece of furniture.
 On Monday afternoon, Jared, Eloise, and I went down to the laundry room to get some laundry out of the dryer.  Jared rode his bike down to the laundry room.  He gets a kick out of things being out of place, so he thinks it's hilarious to see the bike in the elevator.  When we got to the laundry room, I put Eloise on the table to drool on a burp cloth, and started unloading a dryer.  A neighbor stopped in to say hello.  Between keeping one eye on Eloise to make sure she didn't fall off the table, talking to the neighbor, and unloading the dryer, I hardly even noticed Jared climbing up onto his little bike to do his trick.  All of a sudden the bike rolled out from under him and he went face first into a luggage rack that is in the laundry room to hold laundry baskets. One of its knobs went into his mouth as he fell and he immediately started spouting blood. Our neighbor helped me get Eloise upstairs to our apartment, where I mopped up Jared's face and gave him a popsicle for his swelling lip. He was in a lot of pain and kept crying and wanting to be held.
As I was trying to figure out what to do for him, he kept telling me different things that he thought would make him feel better.  "Popsicle help you feel better."  The popsicle did not work because he kept trying to bite into it.  It was pretty obvious that his chipped tooth was loose, since it was not quite where it should be in his mouth.  Jared suggested milk and goldfish crackers. Nothing was working.
When it was still bleeding quite a lot after half an hour, I decided to take Jared to urgent care.  I packed up the kids and headed down to Palo Alto.  All the way there Jared kept giving me updates.  "Mouth feel better," he would say, and then start crying, "Hurts again."  Todd got a ride to Palo Alto and met us there.
The doctor examined Jared's now very swollen lip.  She said it was pretty well mangled, but he didn't need stitches.  Both of his front teeth were loose, so he would have to see a dentist when the swelling went down.
I made Jared an appointment with one Dr. Spitz, a pediatric dentist.  He was great, but I still wonder if that was his original name.  Dr. Spitz said that the teeth will tighten back up, but the nighttime and naptime pacifier would have to go, as it would slow the healing.  Jared loved his little pacifier friend, affectionately known as "Bapper."  We have all been mourning their separation.  I imagine in a week or so Jared will figure out how to fall asleep without it, but days have been long and nights have been longer.  Today Jared even fell asleep in the stroller for a few minutes. That hasn't happened in over a year.
Here is a look at the latest version of Jared's smile.
 As you can see, his spirits are high, even if his tooth is not where it once was.  I think we can stick with this version for a few more years.