Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our beloved Idaho

We always have a great time in Idaho.  This time our fun started just about the minute we arrived when Jared got to go for a ride on the four wheeler with Grandma, Aunt Barbara, and Brooklyn (cousin Emily's daughter).
 Eloise immediately began to be adored.  I'm not sure she was put down once all week.  Here she is with Great Grandpa and Pat.
 After the four wheeler ride, Jared and Grandma jumped on the trampoline. The trampoline, wide open yard, tractors, cows, and cousins make Salmon, Idaho into a play land for Jared.
I have a few pictures of the fun we had in Idaho, but you can see more on Colette's blog.  

On Monday, we went down the street to Aunt Reah and Uncle Jim's house to play on the swing.  
Later, we played with cousins, and had a family barbecue with all of the family in the area. This included Emily, Seth, and Brooklyn, who are staying on the ranch for the summer, Carrie, who was in town for a couple of weeks before starting her new job in Orem, Mary, who recently came home from her mission in Minnesota and was also in town before heading back to school, Megan, who was staying with her parents for a few days to help take care of Becky's girls, Molly and Sophie, while Becky went on a pioneer trek, Colette's family sans Jacob, who went home early Monday afternoon, Grandma Knight, and all of the rest of the family who live in Salmon full time.
I think Jared can smell watermelon from a hundred yards.  How else could he know what he was getting from his height?

On Tuesday we got to go to a little petting zoo run by some neighbors.  All of the kids had a great time except for Molly.  When these sheep were let out of their pen they got a little bit excited and charged up to Molly at full speed hoping for some affection.  They were a little bit intimidating.  
 Jared had a great time.  When we went to the petting zoo potty, Jared sang "E-I-E-I-Oh!" the whole time.  When the pigs were released from their pen he told me, "Pigs funny!"
The kids got to feed suckers to the pigs, hold the bunnies, feed carrots to a pony, feed ducks, and watch goats do tricks.  In the end, each of the kids got a sucker of their own. I think this was Jared's first sucker.  There is a reason for that.
 Eloise didn't care much for the animals, but she was quite happy to suck on her fists.

Wednesday was a very exciting day.  We were just playing at Great Grandpa's house. . .
When Uncle Boyd drove up in a tractor and offered Jared a lift.  Jared actually got to drive the tractor for about a hundred yards.  I think this was the highlight of his trip.
For the remainder of our trip, Jared held Uncle Boyd in a sort of reverent awe.  Any time he saw Uncle Boyd anywhere he would stop what he was doing, say, "Uncle Boyd!" and watch until Uncle Boyd passed out of view.

Later, Jared was enjoying his newfound love, popsicles, with Rachel, when he had a little accident.
He was running and tripped into a propane tank, leaving part of a front tooth behind.  It didn't seem to bother him very much at the time.  Here is a picture of his new, still radiant smile.
Later that afternoon, after a sudden downpour, we went to Aunt Reah's house to play in the pool.  It was still cool from the rainstorm, but Jared refused to leave the water, long after the other kids had all drifted to other activities.  
Eloise thought the water was a little too cold for her tastes.
Having the pool to himself did not bother Jared one bit.
When we finally got him out of the frigid water, Jared promptly tripped and sliced his front lip with his newly sharpened tooth.  He bled and cried and said, "Need jelly beans feel better."  Fortunately he could be persuaded to ice his poor little fat lip with a popsicle instead.

On Thursday, the hottest day of our Idaho adventure, we took a trip to the hot springs.  We are smart like that.  The hot water in the hot sun was a bit much for all of us, so we didn't stay very long.  
Grandma Knight really wanted to celebrate Jared's second birthday while we were together.  Aunt Barbara made a chocolate zucchini cake, and everyone sang to Jared.  Rachel helped him blow out his candles.  
The significance of the occasion was lost on Jared, who was still dehydrated and exhausted from the hot springs hours earlier. He refused to taste the cake, asking for water instead. When we asked him about the birthday party later, he told us that it was Uncle Boyd's birthday.  
Jared and all of the kids enjoyed Grandma's present, a farm toy that made music and animal noises.  

Friday was Grandma, Colette, Rachel, and Annie's last day in Salmon, so we got together for a photo op.  It would have been too good to get all of the kids looking.  
Rachel and Jared had a great time together.  They enjoyed running around outside, eating popsicles and slush, countless games of "Ring Around the Rosies," and jumping on the trampoline.
We wish we could see the Campbells more often.  Cousins are the best!

On Saturday we made the long trip home.  Jared and Eloise did not love being in the car for so long, but they still had a few silly moments.  
Things we learned about Eloise on this trip: Eloise loves picture books.  Eloise does not nap well in the car.  Eloise should not be fed her bottle in the carseat.  Eloise loves to be included in things that Jared is doing.  Eloise also started to giggle on this long drive home.  Her personality is really emerging.

 We stumbled home exhausted at 11:30 on Saturday night, wishing we could have stayed in Salmon forever.  Thanks for a great trip, family!  

1 comment:

Larsen's said...

Looks like a nice family trip...minus the chipped tooth! ;)