Monday, July 11, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend

We had an amazing Independence Day weekend this year.  Any time Daddy has a four day weekend is an occasion to celebrate.
Jared had been asking to go to the temple, and we knew that the Oakland LDS temple would be closed for maintenance for much of the month of July, so we decided to start the weekend with a temple trip.  It was just our luck that the temple was closed for the holiday weekend without announcing the closure on their website. The visitor's center was open, though, so we got to walk around the grounds and get some pictures with my hometown friend, Josie Olsen, who is serving in the San Francisco mission.
At least Jared got to "Go temple," even if we couldn't go inside.

On Saturday afternoon we had a picnic with friends at Washington Park in Burlingame.  Washington Park might be my favorite of our urban parks.  It was really fun to spend some time chatting and playing games with friends. We were actually too busy having fun to remember to take pictures, if you can believe it.

On Sunday we had a barbecue at my step-aunt Jenny's house in Pacifica.  Here is Eloise stretching and puckering and generally trying not to have to wake up to go to the barbecue.
My grandparents, Karl and Bonnie, were passing through the bay area and stopped for the night at Jenny's. It was great to see them.
Eloise was all bundled up against the ocean breeze, but the weather was really nice for the rest of us.  We had a nice visit and a major over abundance of food; hallmarks of a festive holiday gathering.

For the fourth of July our ward had a pancake breakfast and bike parade, which consisted of all of the big kids riding their bikes full speed around the parking lot while the smaller kids rode their conveyances in smaller circles and patriotic music blasted from car speakers.  Last year Jared wasn't walking yet, so this was his first time participating in the parade.  We took his bike and decorated it in red, white, and blue.
 He preferred to try out the other kids' vehicles.  Jaden's scooter. . .
. . . getting a push from the bishop. . . 
 . . .And with his friends Mikayla, Mikael, and Jaden.
We managed to get this family picture, thanks to Jaden.  If you want someone to manipulate an unfamiliar electronic device with minimal explanation, ask an eight year old.  

Eloise slept through the parade, of course, and woke up hungry just when it was time to go.  This is one of our favorite activities all year.
Later, Jared had a watermelon picnic in the tub.  This saves a few steps in the clean up process.
We had planned to go watch fireworks in Foster City like we did last year, but Jared was starting to show signs of coming down with a serious cold, and Eloise was a bit congested, so we decided it would be better to honor normal bedtimes.  Instead, we went back to Laurelwood Park for a short hike and to play on the playground.  Laurelwood Park is a total gem.  Even on a holiday with perfect weather it was practically deserted.
 This was Eloise's first time touching grass.  She was unimpressed. At least we got this cute picture of her in her festive plaid.
Jared recently discovered the magic of drinking fountains.  All of the more modern parks in this area have special drinking fountains with attached basins for dogs to drink from.  Jared was delighted by this discovery and announced proudly that he would be drinking PEOPLE water, not dog water.  Every time he sees a drinking fountain now he asks for a drink of PEOPLE water.  Thanks for making that clear, buddy.

July 5th was Todd's last day off work for the holiday.  We decided to make it big.  First we went back to the temple, after calling to make sure it was open.
Jared associates all fountains with the temple.  While reading Curious George Gets A Medal, George's attempt to write with a fountain pen elicited happy exclamations of "Temple! Temple fountain!"

After naps we went to the beach for the first time since last summer.  Jared got some sunscreen in his eye on the ride to the beach.  Even though it is supposed to be "tear free" baby sunscreen, he moaned and wailed and his whole face got blotchy and started to develop a rash.  Todd was all for turning around and taking him straight home, but that suggestion was met with more wailing and complaining, and Eloise arrived at the beach hungry, so we decided to stay at least until she was fed.  Even though we had been hot at home and hot in Oakland in the morning, the beach in Pacifica was windy and chilly.  Jared didn't mind the cold one bit.
 After he recovered from his initial alarm at the ocean, he didn't want to come out of the water.  When he started to turn blue, Daddy insisted on making sand castles.
 Jared loved the sand almost as much as the water. He used his bucket to carry water from the ocean back to his sand toys and dump it in the sand.
Eloise did not love the wind and sun, but as soon as she was done eating and out of the sun, the roar of the ocean settled her down.
All in all it was an amazing weekend.  We wore ourselves out having fun, and we were disappointed that it went by so quickly.  The four day weekend was just a warm up for our real summer fun, which starts in less that two weeks when we drive to Utah and Idaho to visit family and friends.  We can't wait!

1 comment:

Larsen's said...

What a great weekend! :)