Sunday, September 19, 2010

Georgia, take two.

We made it! Some of you may remember our catastrophe trying to get to Georgia in July, so when we all woke up feeling healthy on September 4, we counted it as a miracle.  One five hour plane ride and a two hour drive later, we got to see Justin and Marie for the first time in three and a half years!  It was great to finally see them and meet their adorable baby, Mckenzie.  Mckenzie has huge brown eyes that seem to absorb everything. 
It was fun to hold a cuddly little featherweight baby for a while instead of my big squirmy one.  We enjoyed a relaxing couple of days in Warner Robins catching up.  Jared was interested in his cousin as long as she let him pull on her ears, poke her experimentally, and do everything possible to get his hands on her pacifier.  Jared only likes a pacifier when he is tired, but he was hit with jet lag pretty seriously.  Unfortunately for Justin and Marie, we learned that a very tired Jared screams uncontrollably at all sleeping times.  When we finally figured out when his sleeping times would be, his eating times weren't on the same schedule, so sleep would be interrupted by hunger.
We still managed to have a great time, even though it was too short.  We went to church and met some of Justin and Marie's friends, went out on Monday for southern barbecue, and went to Macon to see some of the antebellum homes.  They were lovely on the outside.
 Too bad we didn't know that historical sites aren't open on Mondays in Macon. It was a very hot, muggy day, so we were happy to get our red faced babies out of the heat and home for a relaxing, air conditioned afternoon.
Doesn't Todd look sweet with this little pink bundle?  Next time we see Mckenzie she will be much bigger.  Have you ever thought of moving to a more moderate climate, Justin and Marie?  There's room in California!
The other Knights had to go back to work on Tuesday, so we headed to Cochran to meet Jared's other new cousin, Aaron.
Aaron is an incredibly lively three month old (he wasn't quite three months old then) who can roll over and scoot across the floor already.  It was also great to see Cheyenne and Andrew.  We wish Andrew had been able to be around more.  He was busy in school and with the army most of the time we were there. 
It was an eventful week with Cheyenne, as usual.  On Wednesday she took us to play in Lake Tobesofkee.  We had most of the beach to ourselves.  Jared loved the warm, still water.  He wasn't bothered by the hundreds of little fish swimming around his ankles.
 Aaron is also a little water lover, so we all had a great time in spite of the oppressive heat.
When we left the lake, we met Andrew and drove to Forsyth to meet my Uncle Fred for dinner.  He lives in South Carolina, but he was in Atlanta for some work training, so we couldn't miss the chance to see him.  In Forsyth I changed my very first cloth diaper without any supervision.  I'm a pro. It was fun to see Uncle Fred again.  He pronounced Jared's head as peach-like as ever.
Jared and Aaron were surprisingly interactive.  They could make each other laugh (or cry) riding in their parallel car seats.  It didn't take Jared long to start talking about the "bah-bai" baby.  He even woke up one morning calling for the baby before mom and dad.  
 Thursday was our relaxing day.  Cheyenne took us to meet Aaron's Great-Granddaddy Warnock and her employer, Mr. Lewis.  When we got back to Cheyenne's house and put the babies down for a nap, Cheyenne went to use the bathroom and discovered an unexpected guest in the toilet.  Somehow a frog, now affectionately known as Monsieur Pu-Pu, had gotten into the toilet.  All of my childhood nightmares about a snake coming out of the pipes were revived immediately.  We managed to rescue the frog from the toilet and throw him into a neighbor's pond to live out his days until he is eaten by a large fish, or, as Todd predicted, a gator.  You can read Cheyenne's account of our rescue here.
On Friday we went to Savannah.  I had never been there, so we decided it was time.  First we went to the beach on Tybee Island.  Our little water babies (including Todd, who splashes and plays in waves like he has never seen an ocean before) were having so much fun that we spent most of the day there. 
For the first time in his life, Jared didn't eat any sand.  He swallowed plenty of water and ate enough peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a child of four, but he didn't eat the sand. When did our baby turn into a little boy?
When we left the beach after naps, we drove to historic River Street in Savannah where we ate ice cream, sampled pralines, and learned a little about the history of Savannah on the Savannah riverfront. 
It was a long day, but we had a really great time.  Thanks, Cheyenne, for sacrificing sleep and going to a lot of trouble to make our trip exciting and fun.  Thanks also to Mr. Terry, Miss Gay, and the whole Warnock family for letting us stay with you and making us feel like part of your amazing family.  
On the way back to the airport on Saturday, we met Justin in Macon for lunch.  I don't know how everyone in the south doesn't weigh 300 lbs. with all of the good food available.  Todd managed to get through the whole trip without being forced to sample boiled peanuts or sweet potato pie, so we will certainly be back soon.
We love you, Georgia family! Thanks for an amazing trip.


Jen said...

Looks like you guys had a GREAT time! I can't believe how many family members you have living in the south! =)
p.s. Are Cheyenne and Faith twins? =) You're all such cute sisters!

Colette Campbell said...

On my mission we had a frog, or I think up to 3 at one time, living in our bathroom. They came out of the sink, especially when it was really rainy and cold. We named them Pablo, Jesus, and Paula, after 3 new members in the ward that were really good member missionaries and helped us out a bunch. Pablo liked us the most.

supercheyenne said...

Aw, look Sa, she thinks Faith and I are twins. I told you I look like a teenage mother.

Actually I'm six years older than Faith and Faith is much prettier than me, but thanks for the compliment!