Friday, December 26, 2008

Bah Humbug!

This has been a busy Christmas week for us. On Friday I stopped at school on the way to work to turn in a paper. When I went into the Judaic Studies office to drop off the fourteen page masterpiece (which I wrote in two days), the secretary heard me come in and came out of her office. "You're early!" she said. I had no idea what she was talking about. Apparently the department was having a reception for graduating seniors. I was the only one. There was a whole table full of refreshments, and they were planning to give me an award. Somehow the email never reached me. Of course I felt guilty for planning to work through the reception and had to leave work in the middle of the day for it. Anyway, the point is, I graduated last week! Hurrah!
On Saturday we went to see the Mesa temple lights. They were pretty spectacular. Before that it hadn't really felt like the Christmas season because we were so busy with school.
On Monday we drove to Las Vegas for my dad's wedding. Despite the ominous looking clouds that accompanied us most of the way, we didn't run into any bad weather. It was fun to see all of the Humiston cousins that we never see. They are all getting older, and it's sort of funny to see how much all of us Humiston kids look alike.
My dad got married on Tuesday in a little wedding chapel on Las Vegas Boulevard. The large sign in front of the chapel informed us that it was the place where Jon Bon Jovi tied the knot. Elvis gave the bride away and sort of stole the wedding. It was all very flashy and different from any wedding I've ever attended. All in all it was an interesting couple of days. Some positives: catching up with the cousins, who are all growing up really really fast. Meeting Anni's fiance, Ryan, who somehow fits in with this crazy family without any effort. A nice, long, relaxing car drive with good weather all the way. Having a slumber party with my sisters the night before the wedding. Very little sleeping occurred. Congratulations, Dad and Anne!

We left on Tuesday after the reception to drive to Logan. I slept through a lot of the eight hour drive. I was tired from the slumber party and weary from the semester. I needed a good rest. We spent the night at my grandparents' (the Gs') house in Murray. We got there at midnight.
My family has a Christmas day tradition of opening gifts and then driving to the Gs' house for more gift exchanging and then Christmas dinner with our cousins. There was a light snow falling when we got up. It got a little heavier as we opened gifts, and heavier still as we got dressed and ready to go. We weren't about to drive through Sardine canyon in the snow, so we decided to take roundabout path through Tremonton. It was snowing in the city, nothing we couldn't handle. After about half an hour of driving, though, we were in a white out. We turned around to head back and found my mom's car not far behind us stuck off the road. I took this picture of Cheyenne, Anni, Seth, and our three boys (Andrew, Todd, and Chris) who have no experience with snow trying to figure out how to get the car back on the road without it hitting the barrier on the side. We were saved by a nice stranger in a four wheel drive with a tow rope. There was a horrible wind blowing, and we were all glad to get home, dry off, warm up, and make brunch.

This morning we shoveled Anni's driveway. It had about a foot of heavy new snow on it. Our annual tubing trip, scheduled for this Saturday, has been canceled due to avalanche danger. There have been three fatalities already this week from avalanches and more from driving in snowy canyons. Instead we will play games and drink hot chocolate while we watch twenty more inches of snow fall outside the window.

No comments: